While you cannot stop or even slow down the intrinsic aging process, you can prevent signs of premature aging by protecting your skin from the sun, quitting smoking and eliminating facial exercises.
Dermatologists recommend comprehensive sun protection to prevent premature aging caused by the sun. Comprehensive sun protection includes:
- Avoiding deliberate tanning, including use of indoor tanning devices.
- Staying out of the sun between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
- Wearing protective clothing, such as a wide-brimmed hat and long sleeves, when outdoors during the day.
- Applying sunscreen year-round. Sunscreen should be broad spectrum (offering UVA and UVB protection) and have a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. Sunscreen should be applied 20 minutes before going outdoors to all skin that will be exposed. It should be reapplied after sweating or swimming.
Healthy Skin Care Treatments
If you are bothered by visible signs of aging, a number of treatments are available at Cumberland Skin near Nashville. Our skin care treatments include:
- Injectable fillers and botulinum toxin (Botox®) are suitable for people with busy lifestyles who do not want the inconvenience of a long recovery.
- Radiofrequency offers an alternative to the traditional facelift.
- Chemical peels
- Topical treatments
Contact Cumberland Skin & Achieve Healthy, Radiant Skin
Scientific research in the field of anti-aging continues to give rise to new and promising treatment options. A dermatologist can help you sort through the numerous options, including the many over-the-counter products. During a consultation, the dermatologist will examine your skin, discuss your expectations and recommend suitable treatment options.